Below is a list of potential sources for personal funding. It is not an exhaustive list, but it may provide some help in your search for funding. Some are for postdoctoral grants in your current lab, some are for early-stage fellowships once you have a position of independence secured. All information is correct as of August 2014.
1. Human Frontiers- Degrees must have been conferred in the three years prior to the submission deadline, i.e. between 1 September 2012 and 28 August 2015. Must have not been in the lab for more than 12 months. Applicants who started their current work in the proposed host institution or host country prior to 1 April 2015 are not eligible.
2. EMBO- Must have passed PhD two years prior to the application. No movement back to PhD country. One application per lab per round. The cut off date for funding is based on when you start in the lab, and it appears to vary, so check!
3. Marie Curie- 4 years research experience required. Need to have moved countries within the last 12 months.
4. FEBS- One candidate per lab. Need to be a member of FEBS Constituent Society and be a member. Potential candidates that have already joined the intended host laboratory or already working in the country of the host institute are not eligible for a FEBS Long-Term Fellowship, even if the time spent in the host laboratory is extremely short. You must apply before moving and joining the lab.
5. Wellcome Trust- Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellowship. You must be in the final year of your PhD studies or have no more than one year of postdoctoral research experience from the date of your PhD viva to the full application submission deadline (e.g. if the full deadline is June 2015, your viva not have been before June 2014).
6. Royal Society- There is also the Newton International fellowships. Existing lab members cannot apply.
Fellowships for scientific independence
1. CRUK - between 3 and 8 years of research experience.
2. MRC - You need to have at least 3-6 years postdoctoral experience.
3. BBSRC – Anniversary Future Leader Fellowship (15 available). No more than 5 years postdoctoral research. David Phillips (only 5 available). Need to have at least 3 years Postdoc experience.
4. ERC - For researchers of any nationality with 2-7 years of experience since completion of PhD and a scientific track record showing great promise.
5. Royal Society - Henry Dale Fellowship. Henry Dale Fellowship: at interview, it should be less than seven years since the date of your PhD viva.