4 year DPhil Departmental Prize Studentship Competition 2014 - CLOSED
Information for applicants seeking admission in October 2015 will be available here towards the end of October 2014. (The general requirements will be the same as 2014, although the list of supervisors/projects below will change). The closing date for applications will be 9th January 2015 (deadline 12 noon UK time). We advise students to complete and submit their application after 21st November (first gathered field) - applications will not be considered until after the closing date of 9th January.
Up to 8 Departmental Studentships are available for DPhil (PhD) research students which provide 4 years of funding. Studentships cover University and College fees, a stipend of at least £15,863 pa, and up to £5,300 pa for research costs and travel. Funding for the 4th year will be contingent on satisfactory performance and progress in the project and satisfactory progress in writing the thesis.
The competition is open to applicants from all countries.
The studentships are funded by the MRC, EP Abraham Research Fund, the Clarendon Fund and Oxford Colleges.
In contrast to many other 4 year PhD studentships, successful applicants can start in their supervisor's laboratory immediately and so have a full four years to work on their main research project. This increases their productivity and enhances their career prospects.
Please first consult the list of available SUPERVISORS and their PROJECTS. Applicants can select up to 2 supervisors from those advertised, and should list these on the application form.
Candidates should submit an ONLINE application by 12 noon UK time on the application deadline 9th January 2015.
When completing the online application form please take note of the following:
- Under Programme Code and Description select ‘002060 | Doctor of Philosophy in Pathology’
- Under College we recommend Lincoln, St Edmund's Hall, Exeter or Brasenose. Please do not submit an open college application. Contact us if you require advice.
- Under Proposed field and title of research project put ‘Departmental Studentship Competition’.
- Under Proposed supervisor name(s) list the names of your choice of two supervisors from the list.
- Under Date references required by, please use the application deadline
- Under Proposed Funding Arrangements select 'Departmental Award' and 'applied for'. The period covered is '4 years'.
- Under Departmental Studentship Applications please tick the box and use the 'advertised reference code' path15
- Please do NOT tick the box that prevents us from changing your College for funding reasons.
- Regarding Statement of purpose/Research Proposal A brief personal statement (up to 500 words) should be included. A detailed research proposal is not required.
- A CV or Resume should be uploaded which includes your final year school results (A-level, baccalaureate or equivalent) and full details of your research experience.
- It is not necessary to submit any other written work.
- Please let us have your GRE score if you have one.
- If English is not your first language, please indicate if you have taken an English language test and the result. It is not necessary to have taken the test in order to submit an application.
You will need to ensure, in good time, that your referees are willing and able to write a reference for you. Please inform referees that they must send references no later than the application deadline. It is your responsibility to ensure that your references are submitted on time.
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place on 28th-30th Jan 2015. Applicants need to be available on these dates.
Full information is provided on our webpages (see lefthand menu). If you have any further queries please contact email@example.com