Whilst the first course of Pathology was taught in 1894 and the first Department of Pathology opened in 1901, it wasn't until 1927 when the Dunn School of Pathology building was opened, following a major donation by Sir William Dunn.
The Oxford collaboration required to make Penicillin the amazing discovery which still saves many lives today, could not have taken place without the masterminds E.B. Chain, H.W. Florey and later N.G. Heatley. Read more about the discovery of Penicillin in the 20th century.
With the construction of the $50m Oxford Molecular Pathology Institute well under way, the Dunn School of Pathology is at the forefront of creating an institution for its leaders in the fields of immunology, microbiology and cancer.
The Dunn School of Pathology is always on the lookout for excellent researchers and students. If you are interested in a position at the Dunn School, please consider the current vacant posts.
The Dunn School complex includes the EPA building, the Dunn School building, the Medical Sciences Teaching centre and the Oxford Molecular Pathology Institute, which is currently being built. The complex is located on South Parks road, on the Medical Sciences campus.
Edited by Dr Eric Sidebottom and Dr Paul Fairchild, who are always looking for contributions.